The Littleport and Downham Internal Drainage Board was originally constituted in 1756 and its District consists of an area of 13,048 hectares extending from Denver Sluice, Norfolk, in the north, to the Lazy Otter Public House, Stretham, Cambridgeshire, in the south.
The District is bordered to the east by the River Great Ouse and to the west by the tidal New Bedford (Hundred Foot) River. The southern boundary of the District follows the highland contour at an approximate level of 104.0 metres O.D.
The District comprises of mainly high grade agricultural land, much of which lies 2 metres below mean sea level, (6.0 metres below highest tide levels) and has relied totally upon pumped drainage since the area was first enclosed by Act of Parliament in 1756.
The following parishes (or parts of), are included within the Board’s District:- Welney, Southery, Hilgay, Littleport, Little Downham, Coveney, Witcham, Witchford, Wilburton, Mepal, Stretham and Little Thetford.