Ely Internal Drainage Boards

Ely Group of Internal Drainage Boards

The Drainage Office, Main St, PRICKWILLOW, Nr Ely, Cambridgeshire, CB7 4UN

mother-of-pearl-butterfly

Burnt Fen

The Burnt Fen Internal Drainage Board was originally constituted in 1760 and its District is located at the northern most tip of Cambridgeshire, although part of the District extends into both Norfolk and Suffolk.  The District forms part of the South Level Fens with the Little Ouse River forming the northern boundary, the Ten Mile River, the western boundary and the River Lark, the southern boundary.

The District Boundary encloses an area of 6935ha. which is exclusively a pumped catchment.

The District comprises of mainly high grade agricultural land much of which is below mean sea level and considerably below “flood level” and is therefore totally reliant on pumped drainage for its existence as it has been for many years.

The Board undertake their drainage/water level management responsibilities by designating and maintaining a network of 63km. of drains which gravitate to the Board’s Pumping Stations.

The Board operate two pumping stations; Whitehall Pumping Station which discharges to the Ten Mile River and Lark Engine Pumping Station which discharges to the River Lark.

Water levels are terraced/controlled by a number of structures in Board’s drains from the upper reaches to the Board’s pumping stations where surplus drainage water from the District is discharged to the high level river system.